Tuesday, April 16, 2013

sayonara soy

On my journey to "trim the fat" I made a commitment that I would strive to change my lifestyle in healthy ways that wouldn't fall under the 'diet in vain' category.  My biggest fear was that I would crash diet & pump my system full of chemicals, lose the weight, abstain from all my favorites only to reach my goal - let my guard down and gain it all back.  I definitely try new tricks of the trade to see how I react.  I love experimenting, but nothings seems to work like a healthy diet and exercise.  I have learned so much about processed foods and how food can be the earths greatest medicine for the illnesses that plague our society.  However, eating clean is takes constant persistence and effort and planning.  It's difficult when I want one of my quick and easy go-tos and I must say...I often hit my roadblocks.  Chocolate cravings, I remedy with high-antioxidant dark chocolate squares.  One after my meal and it keeps my dessert cravings at bay.  Salt cravings I have tried to combat with experiments like kale chips & roasted chickpeas.

spicy oven roasted chickpeas

baked kale chips

One of my biggest roadblocks has been my aversion to dairy.  Most all of the 'diet' gurus go bananas for dairy...more calcium!!!  But I absolutely HATE fermented cream, so needless to say Greek yogurt has been a challenge.  Milk upsets my stomach if I drink too much, so protein shakes have been even more challenging.  And so I have remedied my milk problem with soy.  I've been careful to choose soy milk that is made with the whole soybean, but still, I keep reading about the cons of Soy and how soy products release a byproduct that mimics our estrogen, which leads to belly fat, one of my biggest problem areas.

In my quest to kick this plateau. I have decided to replace my soy with almond milk.  Originally, I had reasoned that soy milk was better because it has more protein than almond milk.  But I am stuck and I don't want to give up...so it's time to make a few tweaks & reboot the metabolism.

sayonara-to-soy

1 comment:

  1. Almond milk is so bomb. I love it. I will never go back to soy again. :)

    ReplyDelete