Monday, June 10, 2013

where's the easy button?

Quite a process this is.  There are so many blogs with so much advice and recipes, and more advice...slightly overwhelming!

So this week I've tried many different types of non-dairy cheeses...my favorite (by far) is the Go Veggies non-dairy (rice) mozzarella shreds.  Our family has embraced Almond Milk.  I started with Vanilla Almond Milk for the girls, but they don't seem to balk too much about the plain unsweetened.  I am still buying them whole grain bread, but would like to eliminate whole wheat/grain from their diet.  This means I will have to either find an alternative that they will actually eat.  Or make our own bread. And crackers? Whoa.  Am I really willing to commit on that level?  That is yet to be seen. The official decision has been made, that we don't necessarily want to be Vegan.  So we bought laying hens.  10 chicks to be exact.  As well as two meat birds, but I'm thinking we won't be too keen on the process.  Unfortunately, we made the mistake of naming these adorable bright yellow chicks...sunshine & buttercup.  In about seven weeks I'll be making some yummy sunshine stew?  Pass.  We have located our local meat source, so when we are looking for a tasty meal to quench that meat craving...we know exactly where that meat is coming from and how it has been raised.  Shout out to Weston's Meat & Poultry!



I think we are in love!



And we have planted the garden. Satisfaction.



I think what I am finding the most difficult, with our busy schedule, (besides now caring for chicks & the garden) is finding the recipes, the time to shop fresh and the time to actually execute the new lifestyle.  The kids want their tried-and-true easy snacks (and secretly...so do I) So, I have to find a way to create easy breezy snacks...that they love enough to be their go-to foods.  So what's the big deal!?!

Well...first of all, I am desperately hungry for my own go-to snacks.  I do find that I am more satisfied with my whole eating...but I still have those late afternoon cravings for something...just something.  Something a little sweet, and a little crunchy...that will give me that boost.

And when I'm out & about...and I need to eat - WHAT do I eat???  I'm sorry, but an apple just doesn't cut it.  I'm beginning to think that I'm a really bad herbivore.  On top of that...with all of the time I'm dumping into our new lifestyle...I'm skipping my workouts, granted, I'm just now on the other side of a hamstring injury.  But now it seems the motivation has caught the 'lazy summer days' virus.

Thank GOODNESS school is out in two days...we can go off the grid for a few months and just explore this new path.  I'm ready to start hitting the farmers markets with my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment