When we started talking about making some lifestyle changes in the kitchen, we had a lot of thoughts, ideas, feelings, concerns...doubts. I don't know that we really had an intention in mind. I know we both felt taking compassion for animals into consideration was a driving force, but not THE driving force. Our health and fitness was also a driving force, but I believe it was my girls and their futures and their future families that took me from idle to first gear. When I started to consider all of the issues I've had with my body and my weight and my bad habits...there is nothing I would love more than to instill in my girls a solid grasp on how to eat to live rather than live to eat. There is a difference. So, we decided we weren't going to label it, or commit to a title...we were just going to free fall for a bit and see what direction it took us. I've done hours and hours of research and reading. I've watched documentaries. I've sifted through recipes and tried a few...and experimented with a few of my own. We've had a few disasters (mac & chz in particular) and a few triumphs...and the girls have not only caught on to the trend...but they are actively participating and willingly trying some very foreign foods...bravo ladies!
As I have experimented...I have been disciplined at times, and then not so disciplined and I can very distinctly feel a difference between how I feel when I am eating clean and not so much. As I have sifted through our cupboards, I have realized just how much of our food is convenient processed food. There is an app (fooducate) that Skye & I have had so much fun with. Highly recommend. We went through box after box in our kitchen, scanning the barcodes of our foods and in return were given a grade with an explanation. Skye was absolutely fascinated. This shift in our home has inspired so many conversations that have been so wonderful to have with the girls. If it's not about nutrition, it's about animals - how they are treated or how food is made or how the mass production of food can have an affect on our planet. But mainly it's about learning and letting it shape and mold us as a family and as individuals. I don't expect the girls, by any means, to commit to live any certain way for the rest of their lives...but my goal, is to teach them as much as I possibly can in these few years they are home with us...and they will hopefully learn to make educated decisions for their own futures.
And so the journey continues. Thus far, I've kind of been all over the map, taking it all in, but now I am craving structure. I think the hardest part is feeling like I'm winging it every day. Tomorrow kicks off two challenges that I thought might give a little inspiration & focus. The first is a 30 day green smoothie challenge. I already drink a smoothie every day, but it's pretty much the same plain jane routine...berries, a banana, a handful of spinach, a scoop of my pea protein and some almond milk. I need to mix it up a bit and bring some flava. I think this might help. The second challenge is a 21-Day Vegan Kickstart. This is a win-win. I get recipes delivered to my mailbox with an itemized grocery list. Does it REALLY get any better than THAT??? I'm sure we won't love all the recipes...I probably won't even cook them all...but I'm thinking we shall find some gems in there somewhere.
I'm excited to see what July brings!
Hi I'm Heather! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog! LifesABanquet1(at)gmail.com
ReplyDelete