Monday, July 23, 2012

meatless monday.

"The US Meatless Monday campaign was launched in 2003 in association with the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health -- and now, the "cut out meat one day a week" program is active in 23 countries and growing! The campaign’s simple message allows each nation to bring its unique culture, customs and cuisine to the table. Join the movement. It's good for your nation's health, good for the planet!"

http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

The website offers endless benefits to going meatless just one meal a week...everything from reducing your carbon footprint to lowering your risk of obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer.  I must admit...I was a skeptic, but if you take into consideration, how much of the meat we have access to is ridden with chemicals and hormones and the lovely processing to boot.  I'll gamble that eliminating some of that saturated fat does the body good.  Why not.  We might not be ready to strip our entire diet of all animal product and go all vegan with our bad-selves, but I can most certainly get a little adventurous and explore some vegetarian recipes.

For lunch today I threw together a MorningStar spicy black bean burger, a toasted multigrain sandwhich thin which I then slathered with dijon mustard and smashed avocado.  I will admit I was a little unprepared as my lettuce mixture had gone bad, but i did slice up a little yellow onion which gave a delicious crunch and flavor to the ensemble.

Deeeee-lish!  I'm thinking I could eat it again for dinner....






No comments:

Post a Comment