Friday, July 20, 2012

to veeg or not to veeg.

Confession: Jeremy and I are not exactly the best at resolutions.  I blame a little on our tendency to get bored and a lot on our busy lifestyle.  We tend to stick with something for a few weeks.  Just long enough to see good or bad results and then we either get busy or our focus shifts to yet another resolution of interest.  This is truthfully why things like our marriage catches me by surprise.  For one or both of us to stay interested in the other and in the struggles that a marriage can bring...it surprises me...is that bad?  Maybe, but it's honest. Not to say there haven't been ALOT of bumps and bruises along the way...I must say, I doubted anyone could keep my attention for my whole life. We truly are devoted to each other and at the rate of divorce these days...what are the odds we find each other and get it right?  Religion is another issue that has blown my ever-loving mind a bit.  After all of the discussions over the years and trying so many different non-denominational services, I was more than a little bit surprised when Jeremy really felt he wanted to take the missionary discussions.  So much that, I wasn't sure if he understood that the Latter-day Saints don't just go to church, it is a lifestyle - a belief that is lived and breathed mind, body and soul. Again, what are the odds?  When our family was sealed in the temple, we were in awe that not only had we diligently embraced our faith and the lifestyle that went along with it...but it was making us stronger and happier with each step.

And now: Vegan?  ...seriously?  can I even do it? 

It's not even so much the meat, I'm not a huge meat eater in the first place.  I do love my chicken and I love my fish...although, I don't eat fish as often as I'd like...but Sushi?  Can I really give up Sushi?  It makes me sad to even contemplate never having Sushi again!  What about having meat on occasion, like, holidays and maybe an anniversary Sushi dinner?  Is that considered a taboo crime in the Vegan society? I think I could do Vegetarian...95% of the time.  It might scare me a little bit to rid our life of all animal products...eggs?  I love eggs!  Milk? ...I guess we aren't true  lovers of milk in this house, but I use it a lot...and Jeremy likes it in his protein shakes.  Although milk now has so many alternatives, I almost think that could be considered a non-issue.  I have thought a lot about the whole 'eat clean' revolution.  Rid your bodies of the processed junk and chemicals...I get it, that would be amazing.  But I must say...there is a reason WHY food addiction is so prevalent...because these foods are AMAZING!  And what, I would like to know, do Vegans eat for junk food?  Junk food can be life-saving when you just need 'something'...mainly during those tumultuous hormonal weeks.  And what about soda?  I have been very comfortable in my soda consumption.  I have given up ALL of my vices...including coffee & tea...so if I want to drink a diet coke...well then, I'm going to drink one.  I think my body might go on a violent protest should I deny the sweet chemical-ridden joy of diet coke.  I'm quite sure, a detox process of this proportion would need medical supervision.

Leaves me to wonder what my husband is thinking about all of this?

2 comments:

  1. Your husband is at about the same level of doubt you are in this as being another life-changing decision......maybe we just cut back on the cokes?
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete