Monday, June 25, 2012

family home evening

One of the aspects that I love about our church is the emphasis that is put on strengthening the family unit and the home.  We are so busy that at times it feels we are constantly on the go and 'home' feels like the rally point...drop & go.  I know that as the girls get older life will become a cyclone of activity and I am prepared for that.  If I want my girls to be active and become well rounded individuals, then we will have to be willing participants.  However, what I've noticed is that now we've fallen into a comfort zone...all is well in Zion.  Much like a dieter who has finally reached that ultimate goal might say, "I'm thin now, I don't need to count calories."  Letting our guard down, even just a little bit, might cause us to fail to recognize the weakening of our resolve.  We have made a commitment to changing our lives, walk in the ways of our Savior and to teach our children.  I want my girls to have a core of faith that will be unshakable when they leave our home.  As much as time spent together is time well spent, we can't allow an outing for ice cream and a walk replace the great value of teaching the gospel principles in our home.

“We have a family home evening program once a week [Monday night] across the Church in which parents sit down with their children. They study the scriptures. They talk about family problems. They plan family activities and things of that kind. I don’t hesitate to say if every family in the world practiced that one thing, you’d see a very great difference in the solidarity of the families of the world” (interview, Boston Globe, 14 Aug. 2000).

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2003/03/family-home-evening?lang=engI

I need to strengthen my own resolve to plan family home evening in our home.  I know the time and effort put into it will benefit our family ten-fold.  I will admit...I have found several blogs with endless prepared FHE lessons.

http://ayearoffhe.blogspot.com/
http://family-home-evenings.com/category/family-home-evening/
http://www.mormonshare.com/fhe/100-fhe-ideas.php

Is there any excuse...really?





No comments:

Post a Comment