Friday, June 22, 2012

optimistic and loving it.

I was encouraged this morning to step on the scale and see that I am only 10 pounds away from my prepreggers goal.  As encouraging as this is, reaching that goal will be when the real work begins.  I say that because even though I'm losing the weight, nothing seems to be going back to the same place.  Bollocks!

Yesterday was the first of my two pure protein days.  Too many all protein days are difficult, especially when it's a hot summer day and I'm craving fruits and salads, but one or two protein days are so very worth it.  In one day I feel such a difference in just the loss of water weight!!!  I know it's not sustainable weight loss, it would come right back if I even looked at a cupcake, but it's encouraging!  This is just the boost that I needed. 

I really like the Dukan Diet. It's pretty easy to understand the parameters of the plan itself.  Self denial is hard, but seeing numbers drop does give the optimism a serious boost!  Last time, I did the Attack Phase, pure protein, for 5 days.  It was a little bit too long...much longer and I think Jeremy would have moved out until I ate some carbs ;) I tend to get a little cranky, I'm not in denial about this.

I love starting my morning with the Oat Bran Galettee:

1 egg white or 3 TBSP egg white substitute
1 1/2 TBSP Oat Bran
2 TBSP fat-free plain Greek Yogurt
1 teaspoon Splenda
*I also add cinnamon; which is approved within the diet code

I top my galette with fat-free plain Greek Yogurt flavored with vanilla, cinnamon and splenda. And I drink a cup of fat free milk, which almost tastes sweet after eating so much meat (I am typically not a meat eater...which makes this all the more difficult for me) 

In a few hours I'll fry up an egg with a nice slice of turkey ham and then I will try to eat quality meats every few hours for the rest of the day.  I stock my fridge with turkey ham, turkey burgers,  deli meats, shrimp, fat-free milk and fat-free plain Greek Yogurt.  The yogurt has been a challenge for me.  I have never and I mean NEVER liked any type of cream or sauce.  I've never eaten sour cream, cream cheese or cottage cheese...I take my sandwiches without mayo and my salads without dressing.  I have had to learn how to flavor my Greek Yogurt to even make it somewhat appealing to eat.  I'm not at the point that I can eat it right out of the carton, but I have all but forgotten the sweetness of  my beloved Yoplait.

When I started adding 'healthy' carbs back into my daily diet I went out of my way to pay attention to the carbs I was eating.  I was shocked to learn that even just 8oz of Cranberry Juice added 32g of carbs to my breakfast.  I added the myfitnessplan app to my phone which has been a great way to analyze a food before I eat it.  The app will actually track what you are eating, but again, it takes time to consistently add in everything you eat.  On the other hand, most diet plans will encourage you to keep a food log so you can track your tendencies.  What I learned from keeping a log was that I was eating good foods, but my portions were off and I was taking in a lot of calories...oy vey.

I have also done a fair share of research about the Weight Watchers program.  The points program is very effective as it keeps you very conscious of how you are racking up your points.  The point make- up of your meals and snacks as well as pacing yourself to save any extra points for a special event or occasion within your week.  There are a few things that I love about the program itself. 

# 1- the points of foods are determined on how healthy a food is and how it impacts your diet.  The healthier the food, the smaller the points...the junkier the food, the higher the points jump.  Logical, but it's something we forget and let's face it...food is an addiction.  There is a reason why high fructose corn syrup is so highly consumed...because it makes food friggin delicious!  HFCS is at the forefront of the weight epidemic.  Until we go back to the basics, eat less processed food and start eating out of our gardens...it's not going to change.

#2 - exercise...get moving!!!  I certainly can't toot my own horn when it comes to a consistent workout program.   I enjoy working out, but I struggle to find the time and the energy.  I may not be in the gym constantly, but I am always on the go.  It's not like I'm a soap-opera-diva popping bon bons over here, it's more of my trying to juggle 846 things at once!  When I get into a routine and make a consorted effort...I feel fantastic.  When I get off track and lose my momentum...it's difficult to hop back on that pony.

#3 - balance.  You can eat healthy and still have your cake too.  Just not a whole cake.  I love adding sweets into my meal plan, so I know that I am feeding the beast but keeping it at bay. Sometimes eating a donut is magical...a dozen not so much.  That said, should you wreak havoc and eat a package of cookies (in one sitting)...count your points and move on.  Don't give up.

Workouts start Monday <333

No comments:

Post a Comment